About

EBSMS History

E. B. Stanley Elementary School opened in August of 1974. Named after former Washington County Superintendent, Dr. E. B. Stanley, the school was designed to operate with “open” classrooms, a popular concept of the time.  Replacing William King Elementary, E. B. Stanley Elementary also received students from Abingdon Elementary, Bethel Elementary and Cleveland Elementary schools.  In 1981, due to continued growth in the Abingdon area, 250 E. B. Stanley students moved to the newly built Watauga Elementary School.  Watauga joined Greendale Elementary, E.  B. Stanley Elementary and Abingdon Elementary as feeder schools to Abingdon High School. In the fall of 1991, E. B. Stanley became a middle school.  Walls were constructed and the building was remodeled to fit the county’s newly adopted “middle school concept.” The middle school concept became a reality in Washington County with grades six through eight being housed at E. B. Stanley Middle School.  The school receives students coming to the sixth grade from Abingdon Elementary, Greendale Elementary and Watauga Elementary. In the winter of 2009, a new addition was completed to include exploratory classrooms for art, choral music, Spanish, computer labs and space for a teacher workroom. 

 

Our Mission

We at E. B. Stanley Middle School believe that a successful school is an inviting, supportive and safe place that promotes in-depth learning and enhances students’ physical and emotional well-being.  We strive to be a community of learners where each student, staff member and support person is guided by a shared vision and takes pride in belonging. We believe that a successful learning environment is one where both students and teachers are engaged in active learning.

 

 

 
 
Principal: Dr. Scott Allen
Assistant Principal: Dr. Rebecca Austin
Phone: 1-276-739-3300
Fax: 1-276-676-1945
 
Start/Stop Time: 8:15 A.M. to 3:10 P.M.
 

Map and Directions